Dreamer? Wisher? Hoper? Player? [A Friday Free-for-All Entry]
1. Do you have at least seven titles but no salable manuscript?
2. Have you spent over two hours finessing your writing space (on purpose–not just cumulatively over the years)?
3. Is your Acknowledgments page already drafted (if even in your head)?
4. Do you read five or more different writer blogs?
5. Can you hear your friends groaning when you ask them to read your manuscript (again)? Even if you’re asking in an email?
6. How many times have you checked the query success pie charts on an authors website like authoradvance.com?
7. Have you ever used your blog as an excuse to put off revising your manuscript?
8. Have you ever used dirty dishes as an excuse to put off revising your manuscript?
9. Is your manuscript…
a) halfway through the first draft
b) finished after only a few months
c) halfway through a rewrite after it was supposedly finished?
10. If someone asked you to describe your writing routine, would your answer be among the following?
a) when inspiration hits
b) when my child takes her nap
c) when the moon is full and I’ve just finished a Laurell K. Hamilton book for inspiration
11. How many drinks does it take for you to think your writing is “really great?” Is it the same number it takes to make you think you’re speaking fluently in a foreign language?
12. Do you indulge in fantasies where Stephenie Meyer greets you with the words, “Dang, I wish I had thought of that idea”?
13. Do you indulge in fantasies where Seth Green bites your neck (as he did Stephenie Meyer’s) at the premier of your book-made-into-a-film? Have you lost 15 pounds in said fantasy?
14. Do you feel just a tad bit queasy posting this blog entry, knowing that it’s sort of a confession but put into the form of a survey?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, wow. Get thee to a writer’s conference.
Yes, yes. I’m going. Tomorrow.