1. My first idea for today’s post was a scripted fight between the main character of The Black City/The Key to Selene/The Whatever It’s Called, and the main character of my new work-in-progress. The main character of the new WIP is a bit miffed because I keep shunting her aside to revisit revisions on TBC/KTS/WIC. I ended up not writing the scripted fight because it would probably only be funny to people who have read those manuscripts. Or, worse, it would only be funny to me.
2. I am, once again, pleased/humbled/overcome with gratitude for the people who listen to me obsess and gripe about writing. While I do attempt to curb the writing talk, I rarely succeed. So thanks for listening.
3. That said – why are titles so hard? I joked with my friend D-Chan that I’ll just call it “UNTITLED WITH WITCHES AND MAGIC AND BETRAYAL.” She suggested a subtitle, making the whole thing “UNTITLED WITH WITCHES AND MAGIC AND BETRAYAL (and maybe a bear on a motorcycle but no promises),” and I kind of like that.
4. Am currently enjoying the ARC of BITTERBLUE. How I’d missed the Graceling realm, without even knowing it! High fantasy isn’t usually something I’m drawn to, but Kristin Cashore has pulled me in and made me care. The only problem: it’s been over a year since I read Fire or Graceling, and I’ve forgotten who some of the minor characters are. Am a little confused about backstories and princes and such. But Bitterblue is awesome!
5. 34 weeks pregnant as of Wednesday. Am huge. Am starting to attract the attention of strangers, who shift to the side, probably worried my stomach is going to explode into a mess of baby any second. Tick tock tick tock tick tock…. And still no name, no satisfactory sleeping arrangements, no carseat installed. Mayhap we are a bit too cocky having already done this before? Like, “Eh, a baby. Big deal. Been there, done that. It’ll all work out.” Oh, reality will soon slap us in the face….
So jealous you have Bitterblue. I have mine preordered from Amazon.
What shall we name the bear on a motorcycle? Maybe Wally.
Note: may not be lucid due to lack of oxygen.
So–why was “Sisters” in your head??? Wonderful poem. I have a good story to tell you about M Nelson, Rita Dove, and my mentor at an AWP conference. PS.–what is your take on “Beauty Queens”? And I’m still giggling from #3. Happy weekend! (couch time–w/donuts?)
DChan – not enough oxygen? Is the smog finally getting to ya?
PB – I’m not sure why “Sisters” was in my head…HEY! Do you know where I could find all those sonnets? It looks like “Sisters” is in Fields of Praise but what about the rest of them?
As for BEAUTY QUEENS – silly, silly book. I enjoyed it. I’ll have a review up for it on Monday.
Email me that story about the poets!